Friday, May 22, 2009

My Rainy Days

Rainy days are often related to gloom and murkiness. I think it must be the picture of oneself crying or the myth saying that the god is crying (goddess tears according to Pagan myth) that bring to this presumption. A broken-heart with gushing tears, running in the middle of the rain followed by lightning strikes every now and then; would be better off in a movie scene (will sell like hot cakes, man…) compared to just running and crying.

I think the idea of getting stuck somewhere because of rain, or having neither transport nor an umbrella are the major factors why some people just freak out when it starts to rain… unless you are a sixteen year old holding your puppy love’s hand, wading through the rain trying to find shelter… but deep down inside hoping that you wouldn’t… and that, that moment will last forever. hikhikhik. (another scene that sells in cinemas…) satay panas! satay panas satu!

The thing I love about rain is the freshness that it brings. I have this memory of sitting on the bed, clinging onto the window pane, and admiring the pouring rain. I was very young then, it’s one of the video-graphic memories that I have from my younger years. I could feel the drizzle on my face, and I just loved that feeling. The breeze… they were like whispering to me that life is indeed a beautiful thing to live in. It sent smileys to me. The air so fresh that you could feel that regrets and miseries would not even come any close to haunt you, as if the air was opening a new horizon for you to pierce through. The sound of raindrops hammering the land, thrashing the floor, it was easy on the ear. It was almost melodic and harmonious.

My younger sis ran and jumped on the bed to join me, ending “Me pampering my emotions” session. I was not affected, I was still on my rainy mood, my lovely rainy mood, so I asked her to join me admire the rain. Not sure whether she knew what she was doing, but she gripped the window pane and watched the pouring rain with me. Later, I could hear my elder sis calling upon us, screaming out of joy. She was going zealous on the terrace, jumping and slapping the stretch of rainfall surging down from the rooftop. She had earlier placed a short, round, wide pail on the floor, parallel to the edge of the rooftop. She told us the bucket was going to overflow and we got excited alongside her, shouting in joy cheering for the rain. Yeah, by now, you can imagine how young we were. We were very very young indeed!

We were getting more and more wet by then, from the drizzle and the splashed rainfall. I could see the hill halfway disappeared beneath the fog. From the terrace, it seemed like the hill was right behind the house opposite of ours. It was a serene view. At times, we could see faintly coloured rainbow, and I remember my sis used to tell me not to point fingers towards the rainbow as the fingers might forever be crooked.

When we were going out of control, mom knew it was time to drag us in. Hehe, she had an irresistible way of doing so. Freshly fried keropok ikan and steamy cups of teh. Unable to fight the temptation, we raced to the kitchen and fought to eat more keropok than others could. Haha… or was it just me? I was very greedy back then. The kitchen was an extension space from the original design of the house; the roof was of zinc material. You can imagine the sound that would be produced from rain hitting the zinc, it was thunderously loud and we just loved it. We would be shouting around in order to communicate.

Every time it rained, this series of events became routine.



Growing up, I tend to neglect to cherish “moments”. But at times, when the right time with the right emotions sets in, I still have that space in my heart to appreciate this feeling, going deep into this rainy, lovely rainy mood… Well, thanks to my childhood memory of rainy days :-)

Getting cosy in the house while it is raining outside is a wonderful feeling…to have a cup of hot drinks, or simply getting a comfy mood from the atmosphere. Watching the rainfall from the edge…. Even when you are not in a cosy place, (like stuck somewhere in the middle of the rain), you cuddle yourself trying to warm up, but at the same time loving the chill.

Rain is like washing away sorrows. It’s a great feeling inside if you look at it that way. When the rain finally stops… feel the air, the breeze and the freshness… it’s like breathing a new life…






The small terrace that used to be our 'luxurious' place for stageplay..
nope, its not my dad... and nope, its not me nor one of my sisters...
But I am in this picture... Can u find me???

6 comments:

Little Bookworm said...

Wow kak Azleena...I really love ur writing!! I could imagine the rain n breeze on my face too! :D But my fave moment is in a plane, when its taking off. Rasa cm tgh go somewhere new (even if its just KL or Penang. Hehe), and to feel the plane rising higher and higher while the everything on land grows smaller and smaller...sigh. Hehe.

Btw...I see u!!! Behind the daun2 tu kan?? Nampak mata sepet u je...so cute!! :D

Zue said...

the puppy love scene is already in one of the movies...SEPET. haha.

i remember this post from your old blog. nice story n nice pixxies.

Aisyah said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.. I SAW U IN THE BUSHES!!! SOOOOO FUNNY!! :D

cewah.. reading dis make me remember on of the scene in v for vendetta.. when she said the god is in the rain.. :P

Jessie C said...

HEY HEY now my turn...

BULU ROMA TERPACAK!!! This one really hit home run with the bulu lah... amazing details of your writing. You and I are eally nostalgic people... can see it.

BTW I too always go back to my old posts and syok sendiri. Bukan perasan sendiri but just read for remembrance... kan?

The last pic is actually kinda haunting. Tak sangka you boleh wujud in the bush. LOL Good one *standing ovation*

tjey said...

wei!Why you hide in the bush la dei???

zlee said...

Thanks peeps for reading it... thot it's a bit too long tho :P
Haha btw, congrats... u guys found me eh :))

Sakinah, yeah.. commit to the feelings kan :-) Wow, u have wonderful memories on flight... on my first time, i asyik sapu my dad's minyak angin sebab pening kepala, haha!

zue, ha ah.. mcm one of the scenes kt Sepet. Citer tamil ngan hindi pun byk scene ni :D

Aca...sampai skang tak tgk lagi citer tu :P but i remember the catchy line, remember2 the fifth of november, haha!

jessie... syok kan siok sendiri. nostalgic, like walking back history :-) dun la naik bulu roma like dat... i'm still so alive tau :P

t.Jey, and the rest...
Hahaha... I was 2 years old (it was on my birthday) I remember vividly I was hiding behind the plant... that's the only thing I remember most about that birthday... how the leaves felt in my hand.. huhu...i was hiding from the sun... and there's some other emotion... but details will make this comment a story pulak nanti... haha