Saturday, September 05, 2009

What was I doing in that post office?

Event: Very Recent
Location: A mid-east products stall in campus
Scenario: I wanted to buy a bottle of apple juice and ask about the mango juice that looked like concentrated but most likely it might be fresh juice. Hmmm let’s verify wokey?

Excuse me, How much is this? (showing the small apple juice bottle)
~ 2 Ringgit
How about this one, is this concentrated or can we just drink straight away? (showing the mango juice)
~ Yes, straightaway
Ooh… It’s ok, I’ll just take this one
(putting back mango juice and holding on tight to the appley bottley)


Then another customer, a mid-east, asked me "are u from here? a local?"
yes... why
" u speak good english"
(he sounded surprised)

(Hoho... okay, u should hear me Manglish-ing English…)

Instead of saying that, I said
"what's that suppose to mean? Many malaysian speak good english... " sambil gelak senget-senget hidong…

we were both on a bright mood although I am quite defensive :P Both smiling diplomatically, haha.

" no .. no .. malays dont speak good english..." (I was not sure whether he said Malays or Malaysians, but either one, for me it’s still a fallacy)

"that's an insult, you cannot make..."
He continued "i've been here 3 years... no, no... they don't" He laughed gently not wanting to fire things up kot, then started to walk away.

"come on… that’s insulting" I echoed…. sambil gelak bibir sebelah aja.

3 years here and he didn’t come across malay/Malaysian who speaks English better than me? U gottah be keding me! Lawak sepanjang zaman nih! Huhuhu… I don’t even speak the perfekto English per se. Grammar suka-suka hati jer taruk tau. Then, Manglish some more kan.

Oh ya, but with foreigners I tend/try to be accent-less. Or maybe he come across with too much Manglishness and had hard time decoding, you know, like to filter out all the “lah”, "yek", "kan", “maaaa”, “hoh” “erk” “eh” “aaar". Ok, now it does make sense a lil! But for him to generalize like that, it’s still faulty. His qualitative analysis has insufficient data :D Period!


--------<-- div="">

Event: Few years back, I had kinda similar scenario.
Location: Post-Office, campus (ahahha.. forever in campus nih!)
Scenario: Eeee.. what was I doing there?? Can’t remember… must be some PosLaju delivery kot! I was sitting on a small bench when a white lady around 55-60 of age, came and sat beside me. Okay, I am confused… why was I sitting on the bench in that kucifat post-office again? Hmmm? *blur... Her husband was in a queue, accompanied by a Malaysian. She was friendly, can’t remember who started the conversation but we had a pleasant chat.

~ we yadda yadda~ she’s from Australia ~ vacation with husband ~ retired couple ~ have friends here ~
~ me ~ a penangite who has been here far too long until she can predict bungee jumping from penang bridge is gonna be next thing to look out for~ errr..

“U speak English very well”

Ok.. wait... is this an issue… like local issue ke global issue ke? Or is it because I have the ‘haaa, wat u talk yer, I zonno Englis’ expression eh? that i surprised em even with my intermediate english?

Or is it because we are from a country that doesn’t practice English as our first language, so having a good/fair command of it is almost impoh-sibley? :D

“I was told the locals have hard time with english” She was a dear, the way she put it, it did not sound offensive but it made me think (Okay, who told her that aaar?) and I speculatively looked at the Malaysian accompanying them… adakah dia memberi info tersebut? “some students in the universities too, I believe…?” she continued.

Of course, yours truly tried to clarify. I said that’s merely generalization, not depicting the real picture. I talked about diversity; I talked about the different school systems hence the different background people have. I talked about languages and English as the second language, and it’s not mastered by just one group of people/race.

If you are wondering… Yes, her hubby was in a veli long-long queue, imagine, even after that clarification thingy, we had time to spare, and she talked about her kids. Then again, brings us back to this question: what was I doing sitting on the bench for so long aar?? Aiyoo Lupa lah…


So, anyways…

I don’t see why we should think toooo highly of English to the extent that we think not having a good command of it is a disgrace. Yes, it is an important language, and it is important to be able to convey the rite messages, to your interest group. It’s just a language, doesn’t represent our level of intelligence. On the other hand, our effort to learn a language is also a part of exploring and widening our knowledge, rite? So it kinda reflect on the effort part :-)

As we know, the significance of this particular language varies. In some part of the world, (countries where English is not first language) it’s not at all crucial, as they believe their own language has strength of its own, whereas in some other parts, it’s all about survival in the global market. For some, English is a symbol of status and class.

We/our country… seem to have a rickety stand on this. One day, it’s all about mastering english from early age to ease your way through tertiary studies. The next day, it’s all about placing the national language as priority before any other language. Confusing sikit eh? Advice? Just try to master both languages lah :-)

P/S: My Ultimate Choice of verbal communication: Malay Language ;-)

Akhir Kata,
Where's My Uncle Tobys?

8 comments:

Zue said...

tunggu org kot kat post opis tu?haha sy ni kat opis keja dgn org dari byk negara.percayalah sebutan english kita d best. Sy rasa kes kedua tu,cik ckp english dgn fakta2 suma,tu yg mat salleh kagum. Tp mungkin gak org lain x konfiden nak ckp english dgn bangsa asing.

zlee said...

kuikuikui... i think malaysian english is quite understandable, cuma kdg2 kita byk 'sound effect' kuikuikui... ya but konfiden tu mainkan peranan. mcm i, skang tamil i dah tak brapa fasih sbb tak konfiden nak guna outside comfort zone :P

Alia said...

Siapa cakap Malaysians punya English tak bagusss haaaa?? I've got foreign friends yang tinggal kat Malaysia, and I oso got foreign friends yg dtg melawat for a couple of days havign NO language barrier. Apasal si mat arab yang kenkononnya dah 3 tahun duduk sana masih ada problemm???

Maybe sebab we have our own accent yang membuatkan he doesn't understand? albeit the words yang we use are grammatically/verbally correct. If that's the case, itu bukan bermaksud we don't speak "good" english, it's jsut him not being able to decipher whether it's English or not (as according to his own interpretation)!

How do you define "good" anyway. Do we speak "good" English if we have the same accent as they do? Macam lah they pronounce english words betul-betul.

Arabs are so perasan bagus. Kalau kat Malaysia tu boleh lah diorg berlagak sakan, tapi kalau kat sini, they are considered as "terrorist" as bad as it sounds..haha. Nak berlagak kat sini, satu penumbuk kat muka.

woh, mmg anti gilosss dgn arobbb arobb nii mekk. HAHAHA! PMS tak habis habis lagi ke! haha!

Eh, haku mcm tak tersasar dari topik ah? Hahah!!

Anywya, great read, def will bookmark your blog, pastu kasi stalk hari hari..hahah..<--jujur gila nih!

Aan Andes said...

U speak with confidence. Itu yang penting. Maybe most of the students can speak well, tapi bila teragak2, bunyi dia mcm lain sket. Hehe..cepat buka class, dah pass ni :D

zlee said...

@alia - sgt lah masih pms... hahahaha. lawak je.
tapi betul la kan, kalau nak compare, our english has the the least accent... unless manglish yang overdose kan :)) atau mother tongue's influence terlalu kuat? Tu la pelik... tak pernah di dengar orang komplen mcm tu esp after 3 years dok sini :P and kalau nak dicompare, i agree most of them pun ckp tak boleh decode sangat. Language aside, some mmg eksen, but I also know some yang baik dan sweet esp women diorg.

zlee said...

@alia - U are welcomed, anytime ;-) but blog cap ayam je tau...kuikuikui


@Aan - i gimik je lebih, kuikuikui. But betul, bila tak konfiden, mmg cakap tersekat-sekat. I pun mcm tu kdg2... but try 2 overcome from time to time ;-) Kelas? hahaha cpt sapa mau register my kelas ? hohoh

shimah said...

I got the same comment too when i first got here! They were surprise to hear I talk and write .... heheheh .. They actually judged us based on what other people say and these other people happened to meet a malaysian whom is not well verse in English ... hehehe ... but I need to emphasize here that mat salleh in UK ni bangga riak skit .. perasan depa ja baguih ... bila tengok kita pun outperform skit depa buat terkejut ... padahal kita low profile jaaa .... heheheh .... ishk bulan posa ni ngumpat plak I ... hehehe .. ngumpat mat salleh tak pa kot!

zlee said...

hihihi.. tu la kan, narrowed perception influence the general judgment. Takper shimah... Ikut resmi padi, makin berisi makin tunduk. Pesanan dari v.c kita, always be humble ;-)