Thursday, April 21, 2011

My Lone-Star Adventure - Part 1

TEXAS... (Early April 2011)

... one of the states in USA that has its own remarkable identity (known as the Lone Star State). Is it a common touristy state? I'm not sure... maybe not so much, compared to NY,DC,CA..

Well, my visit to Texas was not really a touristy one either. I went there to visit my friends... 2 of them in 2 different cities of Texas. I brought along my laptop and work, and stayed with Elen for 3 days... and we didnt really go out. It was my 3rd month in the US, and I was quite homesick, so it was very therapeutic to see familiar "homey" faces.

From Charlotte to Dallas: Transit in Atlanta (AirTran)
then back from Houston, direct flight to Charlotte. (US Airways)

Another friend, Eli, lived in Houston (now pindah dah)... While I was speaking to Eli about the arrangement to go there, since I planned to take the bus ride, she did suggest I make a de-tour to San Antonio, maybe a few hours stop, but I was not quite confident to go sightseeing all by myself. She told me it's safe to travel... and later suggested one night stay if I want to have a better look of that place, maybe if she might be able to arrange to come over if her husband were to be on leave. After series of phone calls, I needed to confirm and buy my tickets... so assuming it's okay, and thinking of the possibility of her coming over, I bought a ticket from Dallas to San Antonio, and from San Antonio to Houston on the next day. But, later it was confirmed she can't come over... and I was like.... erk... Miscommunication 101... Ok.... "I'm going to San Antonio all by myself?" For someone who is not really a risk taker, this is even a shock to myself.


Travelled with Greyhound Bus
Bus Ride from Dallas (from Richardson)... they stopped in Waco, and Austin on the way
Bus Ride from San Antonio, straight to Houston (but the bus was delayed for 3 hours) :||  !!

I asked myself a few times.... How confident am I? How good am I in learning my ways in new places? How strong am I to face obstacles that might come along the way? I decided to go ahead... I did pray, Du'a a lot that everything will go smoothly.

One day adventure... a Lone Ranger in the Lone-star State...

So... ok... let's go break a leg.


A small town known as Richardson, next to Plano. Took the bus from here, then to Dallas city (half an hour)....

It was Sunday. Some big cities in the US.... they are kinda dead on weekends. (same goes with Charlotte downtown). So yaa... it feels like "I am Legend" movie set :P

I had 1 hour + in Dallas... so I just walked around some streets to get some shots



I am Legend movie set... Will Smith in the car (according to my fantasy) :P

"I am a stranger traveling from the East, seeking that which is lost....
                          I am a stranger traveling from the West, it is I whom you seek...." (movie dialog :P)



Ok... walking back to the Greyhound Station....

This street is near memorial JFK (didnt know it was just next to the red building). He was shot 2 blocks from here.

Ok...
Hop on the bus

real cow aar????
no laa... this one oni real maa...

Hehe... Good decision to take the bus... get to see the views...

Waco:

Continue the journey...


Cowboy Hatsss.... waaa...nakk

5 hours bus ride....
I reached San Antonio around 5pm....
:-)

So basically what I did in Plano (Elen place), was.... cook, eat, chat, and do work. Haha...
Love the chat part...... It's been years since I last met her, or had time to really talk to her...
I missed her so much.... so it was so so great to see her, and her family :-)

Thank you elen... for having me :*


End of part 1... yeehaw!

No comments: